Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Socks

I never knew those little buggers could be so complicated.

Since it's now cool in northern Wisconsin, it's time for socks again. Thomas has refused to wear his own socks. He said he needed longer ones. He took it upon himself to "borrow" my socks. Mine are not typical socks. Mine are the fancy diabetic socks that cost a bunch (ones that Dan didn't like, so I had to get different kind for him).

I asked him how high he wanted his socks to go. Basically, he would want a tube sock. You'd think Walmart would carry them. Nope. Penneys. Nope. Pamida (local mini walmart wannabe). Nope. Well crap. They USED to sell them...back in the day.

I did a search on line. Finding young boys' tube socks was not easy. I ordered him some. The order came, and they went to his waist. Then, I found out they sent the wrong ones. The right ones came, they fit him, but.... "These are un COM fortable." Knowing it could be a seam problem, we tried them inside out. He first said they were better, had them about 5 minutes, sighed and said "I guess I'll just wear my socks anyway."

GRRRRRR.

He still won't put his own socks on. We've even pulled the tv plug on him until he wears socks that belong to him. Probably not the best punishment, but we were basing it more on the fact he didn't need to wear OUR socks. It doesn't connect, I know. But sometimes, we do some pretty un-connected things.

In the meantime, I discovered a boatload of warm furry socks he LOVES. Where were they? In the bottom of a laundry basket. I put them there last July when he wouldn't stop wearing them, no matter what the temperature. Those are in the laundry as I type. Of course, Thomas tells me "I wouldn't have lost the tv time if you washed my socks."

He has an answer for everything.

I DO get that he may be sensitive to the seams. I get that he might have other sensory things going on. But, you know what? Sometimes I really am just frikkin' tired and say or do things that aren't necessarily helpful. I'm not perfect.

No comments: