After bombing out on two separate hearing screenings at Head Start, we took Thomas to have his ears checked by the ENT and audiologist who I see. He's familiar with my family history of hearing loss, so I knew we'd get a good evaluation.
When we arrived at the office, I asked the receptionist if the doctor was running on schedule. She said on sched. I asked her if she could alert the nurse to not call us to the exam room until the doctor would be actually ready to see us.
About five minutes later we were called back. The nurse did some routine screening. She then left and it was another 10 minutes before the doctor came in. Within 10 minutes time, Thomas went from very laid back to very restless, as did we. After a little poking and prodding, which Thomas sat perfectly still for, we were sent to the waiting area for the audiologist. Another 5 minute way. When he saw the audiologist, Thomas did awesome. Three different types of testing showed normal hearing (YAY!!!!). But....we had to go BACK to the waiting area to see the doctor again. This is when Thomas had enough of keeping it together. He started running into offices that had doors open (and no one in them in some cases), rattling papers all over the place, and just generally stirring up trouble.
I took him and held him upside down by his feet, as suggested by our pediatrician. It's worked wonders in the past. It gives a needed "head rush," and really does calm him. It doesn't exactly calm ME when people give us very strange looks, but that isn't the point.
We eventually got back to the doctor's office, with another 10 minute wait. I was ready to leave when the doctor came in and told us everything looks fine and call him as needed.
I need to be sure to point out, that this visit, his haircut, a dental appointment, teeth extractions, etc, all would not have gone as smoothly just 6 months ago. What changed? A 2-week intensive therapy in Hudson. We know the changes are due to that. We didn't realize then what the benefits would be, and now we do.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm so glad this went so well for you! Would you share more about the intensive therapy in Hudson, NY? I would love to hear what is entailed, and how you think it helped T. to handle situations like hair cuts and long visits to the doctor's office.
Thanks!
Sure. It was in Hudson Wisconsin, just "down the road" from the Twin Cities. If you google AIT or Auditory Integration Therapy, it might give you a good idea. I'll try to do a post that tells a little more, after I get back home and am typing on a 'puter that doesn't literally eat my words.
Thank you! I'm looking up the AIT therapy right now, it's something I think could be beneficial for my nephew with Sensory Integration Disorder. I'm looking forward to your post!
I love the idea of turning them upside down for the head rush. My kids are too big for me to pick up, but it might be worth trying something like "head between the knees" or "do a headstand" (which they both can) when they are getting disregulated.
Post a Comment