Well, it happened. We might have lost one of T's Personal Care Workers (PCW). We still don't know one way or the other.
What prompted it? A day from hell, I guess you could say. I wasn't home to witness things, so it's 3rd hand information from a husband who doesn't remember things. What I DO know is:
1. Meds were an hour late.
2. PCW asked T to do something while meds were kicking in.
3. T. needed his glasses fixed. Husband tried fixing them, but T began to meltdown because he wanted to watch a tv show and needed his glasses for that. Husband had PCW confine T, and then all heck broke loose.
4. PCW ended up leaving. T. had scratches all over his chest. PCW said T did it to himself (we DO believe that she wouldn't do that to T).
5. The home health agency called the next day to tell us that PCW wouldn't be there and they weren't sure if she'd back. PCW mentioned to agency that T. bit her as well, which we were not aware of.
So....the kid is not yet 6, and we're possibly losing a PCW.
That was all on Tues/Wed.
On Thursday, I got word that the ONE person our county could recommend for respite has said no because apparently the county has been giving everyone her name.
Unfrikkin' believable.
On the up side...we DO still have a PCW that has worked with us for a little over 2 years. He comes Mon, Thurs, Friday, and every other weekend. He's available on Tuesday, so if the other PCW did quit, we might just have one work Tuesdays also, and wing it on Wednesdays.
The whole PCW thing bothers me because T. takes forever to finally 'warm up' to new people. He had shown great signs of that in the last few months. Evidence was when he stopped having meltdowns at the mention of her name. In the last few months, he was able respond well.
I have to keep telling myself, it's not the fault of an almost 6 year old. It's NOT. It was a combination of things that he really had little control over.
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm sorry for your loss! It is hard to find good personal care workers!
I'm sorry to hear this. We've been there and it is so hard to transition in a new worker. Hang in there.
Post a Comment